Jun 23, 2017

Early Review--Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine

Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.

With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace.

But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop.
 


Thanks to being an Amazon Prime member I finally found a book I wanted to read one month early and that naturally was Rachel Caine’s debut thriller, Stillhouse Lake! I never even found out what the other book choices were, simply that Rachel’s was among them and I quickly downloaded it. Never even got the email either, but this one was on my list anyway so I was happy to dive in early! I’ve been a fan of Rachel’s since the Weather Warden days and I’ve always enjoyed a good thriller, so it was pretty much meant to be!

This was one intriguing read if I do say so myself. What do you do when you find out the man you married is a closet serial killer? Gina Royal’s life was turned upside down the day she discovered her husband’s dirty little secret by accident. And after a few rough years of trials and her own trial of being an accomplice, she and her children have settled down at Stillhouse Lake with their new identities. They’ve have to move around a lot over the years because of all the hate mail and tormentors. Apparently there is no witness protection program for the serial killer’s family who had no idea there was a murderer in their home. It really makes you feel for Gina, now named Gwen. She truly knew nothing about her husband’s secrets, and yet, her life and her children’s lives have always been in a constant state of unease.

It’s a tricky thing, I’ve been trying to think if I was a family member of a murdered victim, how would I feel towards the murderer’s family? When it’s clear they do not support him anymore, they don’t visit him in prison or feel like he was just misunderstood or any of that defensiveness. I can understand some hatred, I guess, but some of the hate mail and scenarios Gwen endured were way harsh.

Gwen and her kids think they finally might have found a nice place to live at Stillhouse. And it’s during this time when you start to wonder when the thrills and chills will start. And then it happens. A body is found in the lake, one that has been desecrated in the same manner as Melvin Royal’s, Gwen’s ex-husband, victims. And Gwen is suddenly the new person of interest in the case.

I’ll admit, there were some slow parts to this one. The first body is found before the 100 page mark, but it’s after a few rounds of questioning that things start to move at a slower pace. Life moves on for Gwen and she tries to fall back into a normal life routine. Then in walks the mystery Sam. Gwen can’t help but be suspicious, it’s become a natural habit for her. But then after a time, it seems something might be growing between the two of them. But thankfully, romance isn’t a part of this story!

As I said, this was a most intriguing read! It seems that poor Gwen can never escape what her husband did. The internet trolls, as she calls them, are always posting terrible things about what they want to do to her and her children. They blame her for the crimes as well, thinking that she got away with murder since her trial ended up with her being let go, obviously since she’s our heroine in this story.

There was quite an array of suspects in this one and I admit, I never pegged our bad guy down. Though I was right in a sense about one of my suspects. I never fully trusted him, and I was right to do so. But that’s what I always love about mysteries, the guessing of the whodunit! I say I have a decent 50/50 streak going on and I’m never really bothered by it. I guess it’s just a good thing I’m not an actual detective! Lol!

The ending was naturally, the most intense part of the story. And just as things are wrapping up, I start to wonder where the series will go, for I know there’s at least one more book to come and then it happens! The little piece of the puzzle that comes to light and you think, oh sheet. Needless to say I cannot wait to see what the next book will bring!

Stillhouse Lake was a spine-tingling kind of thriller! There was definitely a darkness to the crimes that were committed in this one. While it wasn’t as fast paced or on-the-edge-of-your-seat as I would’ve liked, it was still a decent read and I am definitely sticking around for the sequel! It’s got just enough edge to it that it will have you hooked into Gwen’s battle!


Overall Rating 3.5/5 stars



Stillhouse Lake releases July 1, 2017




1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy thrillers so I am looking forward to this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!