Feb 22, 2017

Review--A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world torn apart.







So after nearly a year of waiting, I’ve finally read A Court of Mist and Fury by the ever talented Sarah J. Maas. And now I can finally say I GET IT! Lol!! There was soooo much to this story! We’re looking at 624 pages! By far the longest book I’ve read in a good long while. This is Harry Potter length people! Granted these days it’s not so much of a stretch for a book to surpass that length. All I can say it was 624 pages of incredibleness!

You would think that with amazing-ness that was A Court of Thorns and Roses that it would be hard to beat it! I mean, there was sooo much to love about that story! And then Feyre’s transformation into a fey herself was shocking and amazing! And it’s just a few months later that our story truly begins with Feyre and Tamlin and their togetherness. Though it seems calling it a “happily ever after” ending is far from the truth. Tamlin kind of does a 180 on us (that’s the right number, right? Math was so not my subject! LOL!). He becomes very protective of Feyre, almost too protective. And it is slowing killing Feyre in the worst way. It’s about at this time that good ol’ Rhysand shows up claiming it’s time for Feyre to fulfill her bargain with him and spend a week with him in his palace.

Despite Tamlin’s protests and rants, Feyre goes along with Rhys because it was a made deal. This is when we slowly start to see Rhys’ true character. And I definitely mean start, because our eyes will really be opened further along. And even then WOWZERS! It’s not long before Feyre finds herself too smothered by Tamlin that she wants to stay with Rhys permanently, for with him there’s freedom and choices.

And soon after that, a quest is set forth for Feyre and her new friends. War is looming with the King of Hybern. They must find the magical Cauldron and destroy it before the king uses its power to break the wall between Pyrthia and the Mortal Lands. The wall that has protected Feyre’s family and sits on their land, for years. And so the quest begins to search for the two halves of a magical book that can destroy said Cauldron.

While I am trying to shortchange you on this epic quest and all it contains, it’s because I am trying not to give away too much! But that’s the gist of the plot anyway! And it was so enthralling! This was one read that I didn’t mind taking days to read. If only I didn’t have to work while I read it! Hence the reason why I attempted to save it for that holiday weekend! LOL!

Now onto the romance section of things. I admit I was a Tamlin girl in the first book. I liked Rhys, we didn’t know him much and I almost wondered at the time if this was the beginning of a love triangle. And it’s not. Not really, anyway. True Feyre is caught between two fae men, she’s with one and then she’s not. Tamlin really does a number on everyone, Feyre, us readers…it’s remarkable that change. Or perhaps it wasn’t really a change at all. But I can say, this love entanglement was done well. By the time Feyre is leaving him to go live elsewhere, which, yeah, it’s with Rhys because he was her salvation, you were rooting for her to do so, all within the first 100 pages. The actual romance between her and Rhys takes a long while to come. There’s general flirting and innuendos between them, a few sparks tossed here and there, and by the time it’s the real deal I was already swooning from it all! LOL!

And can I just say, WOW! The romance in this one was HOT! OMG. I am still amazed that we can call this YA. Truthfully, I thought I heard it was NA. Because hot damn is this book hot! My face was burning red more than once when I read this! Thankfully, those particular moments were read when I was out of public eye! LOL! But man, this one made me swoon really hard!!

The ending was quite epic as well! Not only was it an explosive kind of ending it was also pretty chilling in some sense! I had been expecting a cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers, one to leave me in agony and instead the one I got wasn’t as dreadful as I anticipated! This is when it pays to always think the worst, because you can be happily surprised when you realize how wrong you were! There were many shocking surprises along the way of this ending and I cannot wait to see how they all turn out in the next book! 


If A Court of Mist and Fury was phenomenal than I suspect A Court of Wings and Ruin will be nothing short of EPIC!! A Court of Mist and Fury totally blew past all my expectations and kept me gripping the pages well past it’s end! I was entranced and enchanted from the near start and I cannot wait to see what Sarah will continue to do with this world! May cannot come soon enough!

 

Overall Rating 5/5 stars 


BONUS MATERIAL

I ended up borrowing a Target edition of A Court and Mist and Fury purely to read the extra story Sarah J. Maas wrote. And I must say, Wings and Embers was totally worth it! The short little story is merely a moment, a conversation, if you will, between Cassian and Nesta! For the short time these two spent together or near each other in the book, I was already in love with the idea of them! Nesta is so feisty and fierce and then you have Cassian who’s also a bit hotheaded and cocky, the two were meant to butt heads with one another!

We get glimpses from both Cassian and Nesta’s points of view which really just added to the enjoyment! We could tell nearly right away that Cassian was attracted to Nesta in some way and it’s not just for her looks. But getting to know what Nesta feels was a total surprise!

Their conversation involves a lot of bantering, teasing, taunting, you name it. But yet you get to see some further depths of their characters. Nesta isn’t as cold hearted as we’re led to believe and Cassian has more heart to him then he usually lets on. And just wow! Seriously wasn’t long enough! This scene was meant to take place somewhere in the midst of things, so it was kind of nice to see what was happening elsewhere while our star-crossed lovers were busy!

A fantastically awesome little read! If you ever stumbled upon it at Target, I highly recommend picking it up!

 

Overall Rating 5/5 stars 


 




11 comments:

  1. I had the chance to read that short story too and I swooned hard! I ship Nesta and Cassian so hard!!! I'm so excited to see more of them in ACOWAR :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! I also can't wait for the final book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read it! LOL I've been staring at it for months now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally listening to this right now and really enjoying. You're so right about it being hot! Geez, I'm at the part where she's just started staying with Rhys and already wowza! I think we definitely have to classify this as NA not YA! So I'm a Rhys girl and I think... I THINK... I always have been. It's been a while since I read the first one so I could be fuzzy on that. LOL! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I've only heard great reviews on these books and I'll have to pick them up at Target! I even have a Target gift card waiting/burning a hole in my wallet. I haven't read that long of a book since going from start to finish of the Harry Potter series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it interesting you say that Tamlin did a 180 in this book because I think it was always there in the first novel, just not full manifested. His alpha possessiveness in ACOTAR was really off-putting for me. I wasn't a Tamlin fan really.

    But I think it is so easy for us to romanticize it because it seemed to be the only romance at the time and books often have that type of relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was NA. I mean it can't be YA right? It's way too steamy to be YA. Anyway great review and I'm so glad to see someone else loved this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is so good. I love Feyre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is technically NA but because there is no where to shelve NA in a bookstore it gets put in with YA... but I agree with you, I adored this book and I am dying for ACOWAR now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you read this and enjoyed it so much! This is probably one of my favorite books of the last several years, because it hit me on a deeply emotional level. I related to Feyre SOOOO much in so many ways. And I LOVED Rhys. And The Night Court. And, just everything. The book hangover was AWFUL. Great review!

    ~ Michelle @ FaerieFits

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! :D Can't wait until ACOWAR, nice review!
    This was also one of my 2016 faves! ^-^

    Caroline @ Just another bookish blog

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!