Dec 20, 2016

Mini Review--Obsidian Blade by Morgan Rhodes

Magnus from Falling Kingdoms and Maddox from A Book of Spirits and Thieves are on an epic quest through time in this series-bridging novella.

In a garden of ancient ruins on the cliffs of Limeros, Prince Magnus comes face-to-face with a witch. The old woman incapacitates him with a spell, presses a single object into his hand—an obsidian blade—and tells him to bring it to a woman named Samara before the sun sets and his portal home closes forever.

A flash of dark magic transports Magnus back in time to a Mytica he’s only heard about in storybooks. Lost in this foreign land, Magnus sets out to find Samara. But a chance encounter with the rumored Witch Boy derails his journey. Magnus saves Maddox from a beating, but the cruel Livius is now on their tail. The sun is starting to set. Time is running out. Both boys must fight for their lives.

Follow legendary bad boy Magnus and the enigmatic Maddox as their worlds collide in this high-stakes adventure.


Obsidian Blade was a quick little read that combines Morgan Rhodes Falling Kingdoms and Spirits and Thieves series! Magnus meets Maddox, if you will! It’s been a long time since I read A Book of Spirits and Thieves and can’t quite remember it much. But I do vaguely recall Maddox, but only vaguely, sadly. I hope to be reading the next book in that series somewhat soon.
Anyway, in this story, Magnus is thrust back in time, to Maddox’s time, in order to deliver an obsidian blade to a witch. Magnus is going to have to find some help for this one, which as you know, Magnus isn’t one to ask for help.
This story takes place before Falling Kingdoms I think, Magnus is sixteen…and though I can’t remember his age currently I know it’s older than that. Even if by a year. So it was sort of odd to see him being his old self. But even then, he was still that boy just wanting to find somewhere to belong and have someone care about him. He’s cold in order to keep himself from being hurt further.
This was definitely a short read of 50 some odd pages (according to my Kindle) but it was still a fun little read! I love crossovers and I hadn’t really expected to see one with these two series since they are several hundred years apart time wise. So it was definitely a fun little read. I definitely think it’s a crossover kind of read that is just for enjoyment, because I am not really seeing anything that will serve a purpose in the Falling Kingdoms world, as for the Spirits and Thieves world, that will remain to be seen until I get myself reacquainted with that world! Definitely a must read for fans of both these series!

Overall Rating 4/5 stars



3 comments:

  1. I love when authors release small stories on the Kindle -- it's a nice fix when you're missing the series, and then you feel so accomplished after reading something! I have yet to check out this series, but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked out this series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know her two series are connected somehow. Falling Kingdoms didn't work for me sadly :(

    Happy holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!