Nov 24, 2016

Random Thursday--Thanksgiving Day Edition!

Happy Turkey Day everyone! Hope you're all enjoying the holiday! I'm trying, but I'm dreading about going to work tomorrow. One downside to my job. I can't request Black Friday off. Ugh. This is when I get all my Xmas shopping nearly finished. And by sitting at my desk with nothing to do, because there usually isn't anything for me to do but a few things that are done within an hour, my Xmas list gets longer and longer because I can't buy the things NOW. Okay, ranting over! Sorry about that! ;)


Here are some fun Thanksgiving facts that I found at Coolest Holiday Parties.com, called Coolest Thanksgiving Facts! Just click the link to read all the factoids! I just picked a few here!




  • Thanksgiving wasn't declared a national holiday until 1941. It was then that Congress decided that every fourth Thursday in November would be Thanksgiving.--that's just odd! I still don't get why it's on the fourth Thursday! 
  • Turkeys have heart attacks! When the Air Force conducted test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would literally drop dead!--sooo odd!
  • 91% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving--I'm in the 9% myself! Yeah...I'm weird!
  • Thomas Jefferson thought that Thanksgiving was one of the most ridiculous things that he ever heard of!
  • Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the national bird a turkey!--definitely would look odd on the quarter!
  • One of the popular symbols of Thanksgiving is corn!--never would've guessed that!
  • 50% of Americans will put the stuffing inside of the turkey on Thanksgiving--and once again we are in the the OTHER 50%! Lol.
  • Turkeys were one of the first animals in America to be domesticated
  • The First Thanksgiving lasted for three days--and Congress decided to short change us I see!
  • The Guinness Book of Records marks that the largest turkey weighed 86 lbs and was at the heaviest turkey contest in London, England in 1989--dang!!!




4 comments:

  1. Since I'm a pescetarian, I'm also in the 9% :-) So, I'm with you. Thank you, Jessica, for your posts throughout the year. I always enjoy reading them. My son is working today and all weekend. But... at least today and tomorrow he's at the happiest place on earth! Greetings from Florida...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your random Thanksgiving facts! Happy Thanksgiving Jessica! :)
    Miranda @ Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m also in the 9%. We’re having turkey for Christmas, but I had BBQ yesterday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!