Aug 19, 2015

Review--Wolfcry by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Oliza Shardae Cobriana is heir to Wyvern's Court, home of the avians and serpiente, whose war with each other ended just before Oliza was born. But hatred is slow to die, and not everyone likes the expressive way in which Urban, a serpiente dancer, is courting Oliza--especially not Marus, her reserved avian suitor. And when Urban is found beaten in avian land, Oliza is filled with despair. How can she be expected to lead a unified society if her people still cannot live peacefully together? 

Before Oliza can try to mend the rift in Wyvern's Court, she is kidnapped by mercenaries, who take her deep into wolves' territory. As Wyvern princess, all Oliza has ever wanted is to see a future where she can find love and take a mate without inciting another war. The time is now. She owes it to her people--and to herself.


With Wolfcry, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes returns to the fascinating world of shapeshifters and weaves a powerful tale abut love, duty, and the fate of the Wyvern Court.


It has to have been about ten years since I last read book 3 from The Kiesha'ra, while I loved Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's earlier books, for some reason the third book in this series disappointed me. I remember that because the main characters are set in the background and their daughter takes lead. So we're talking major time shifts and a loss of characters I grew to love way back with Hawksong.

Wolfcry was fairly easy to get into. I have no memories of Falcondance, but I don't think it really mattered. This story focuses on Oliza, the daughter of Danica and Zane who is now twenty years old and is, in part, gearing up to take the throne. But first she must choose a mate, and naturally she has two guys vying for her hand. One, Urban is from the Serpiente and Marus is from the Avian. So naturally, we can see someone from both sides playing for hand. Though, I never got the sense that either one was willing to play for her heart.

After a celebration of sorts, Urban is attacked and this causes stirrings among the Avians and Serpiente, as despite the peace that we thought Danica and Zane brought to their people, there is still a dissension of sorts among them. Oliza is fretful over Urban, and the next tragedy is quick to respond when Oliza is kidnapped.

Thus begins the journey of Oliza trying to escape her attackers and get back home. She stumbles upon different groups of people, one a set of wolves and another a sort of outcast group of Serpiente. Oliza befriends a wolf shifter who has taken to guarding her during her travels.

This book was filled with surprises and a bit of those led to disappointments. I felt like the surprises were just too surprising. They were there for shock factor with hardly any buildup. I don't mind a surprise, but I like to be able to look back in the pages and see what the characters were planning ahead of time, so that way the surprise makes sense! Here...that didn't happen. It was just a series of surprises that led to quite the unexpected outcome.

I stopped reading this series nearly a decade ago, mostly because I missed seeing Danica and Zane as the heroes and I was probably right to do so. As I just couldn't really enjoy this one as much as I had hoped. Though Danica and Zane do make brief appearances, I just seem to miss the books that started this particular series. I'd say I would just walk away from this particular series now, but with just one book left, and sitting on top of my TBR Pile to be read, we all know, that I will be reading it next!

Wolfcry was definitely a unique read that had its moments where I was enjoying myself, but then the shocking reveals came in the end and I was not prepared for them and I found that to be lacking. I feel like with all the other reads that have shocked me, there was always some small little hint of something to come and I always enjoyed seeing that. But here, I either missed it entirely or it was just never there to begin with.


Overall Rating 2.5/5 stars





1 comment:

  1. Whoa, talk about a blast from the past. I remember reading some of her books a long while back o_o

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!