Mar 27, 2014

Review--Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


Making my way through Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me series and I've just finished Unravel Me! Now I get it. I totally get why everyone seems to be head over heels for Warner. Warner took me completely by surprise in Destroy Me and continued to surprise me in Unravel Me! That moment we saw at the end of the novella? Totally happens in this one, only we see Juliette watching Warner. But onto the review...

Juliette and Adam are settling into Omega Point. But lately, Adam's been acting weird. Almost distant. It takes awhile, but finally we learn that Adam's discovered his own set of abilities and their own uniqueness. Without getting into too many details, it comes down to Juliette once again being a danger to everyone--which really wasn't anything new--but this time, that includes Adam. While she hasn't hurt him yet, there's a greater threat that she might one day. So the two are apart for more of this book then they were in Shatter Me.

But then Warner comes along. Ah yes, Warner. Like I said, I totally get what everyone's been gushing about the past few years now when it came to this series and this guy! The residents of Omega Point have quite a bit of battles in this one, and through one of them, they manage to take Warner hostage, after they were trying to rescue some of their own who Warner's father kidnapped. Warner's father, as I mentioned in my review of Destroy Me is a complete a-hole. You almost wonder how this man was capable of feelings in order to have a son. But anyway, Warner because the newest "resident" at Omega Point.

Unravel Me was definitely an entertaining read, I admit, it started off a little slow. There was so much buildup and dancing around the secret Adam was harboring and when it finally gets revealed, it just felt a bit anticlimactic. It still made for good story fodder, but I don't know. I guess I was expecting something...more. But that is exactly what we get as the story moves along! I mean, there are some shocking revelations in this one! Ones that I was not expecting at all!

With those revelations come new problems, but not all were totally explored. The biggest issue--besides the whole battle between The Reestablishment and Warner's dad and the Omega Point people--is the ever present love triangle. Adam, naturally won all our hearts in the first one. Warner, back then skeeved me out with his unhealthy obsession with Juliette, but through his novella and even this novel, we get more of his character. More of who he is and who he shows the world and I definitely like what I saw. Warner is the epitome of the mysterious man. He had many secrets and I feel like he might still be holding back from us even now.

So naturally this leaves us with quite a few bursts of romance between Juliette and Guy #1 and Guy #2. And honestly, at this point I have no idea who she will choose. I don't feel like a choice has been made completely on her part. I know who I'd pick, but I won't say. You will find out from whatever emotions I will be expressing after Ignite Me!

This is one series that took me by surprise. I find I don't mind Juliette's somewhat scattered thought patterns. She's not as scattered-brain as before. There's still the repetitiveness of some thoughts and there's the occasional crossing out of thoughts, but they are starting to flow rather flawlessly now. It definitely makes for an easier read, although sometimes I think the amount of repetitiveness for some thoughts, like repeating the same phrase over and over, gets a little over done. I would think three times is enough but there might be four or five or six or something. But in all honesty, that is just a minor nuisance in the grand scheme of things.

Unravel Me was an amazing read and is not one to be missed! It will definitely drag you further into this new world created by Tahereh and might just convince you to stay!


Overall Rating 4.5/5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!