Oct 1, 2011

Review--Vampire Academy Graphic Novel by Leigh Dragoon, Richelle Mead & Emma Vieceli

After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St.Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger...and the Strigoi are always close by.

Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love, and never once let their guards down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever...

Okay, so I am totally getting into graphic novels lately! Well, at least ones that are based on my already fave novels/series!! And Vampire Academy is a stellar read! The first novel in the series that brought me back to reading YA is told wonderfully in such a short amount of time and frames! But it's still awesome!

New to reviewing one of these since I only read 1 besides this, but will give my best go at it! If you know the story of Vampire Academy you can follow along easily. And it's like seeing the book come to life! The colors are so livid and beautiful, and when we go to flashback scenes or into Lissa's head, you can tell because there's a slight difference in color tone and shade! It's extraordinary!

The characters are just as I imagined them! Of course I never really realized how pale the Morois are, but it's still amazing to see them! I felt all the same emotions I felt when reading Vampire Academy the novel as I did when reading the graphic novel. Totally hated Mia, but know by the series end I will like her again! And Dimitri! Oh Dimitri is freakin hot! Don't think even my mind conjured such a good image of him! Love how the artist, Emma Vieceli drew him! 

Although the one thing that got on my nerves with the drawings was Rose had a piece of hair almost constantly in her face. I can understand why it was there, but to actually see it there in almost every frame got on my nerves. I just wanted her to push it back! 

But that little nuisance so did not effect my enjoyment of the novel! This was definitely a fun read! I so can't wait to read Frostbite next year! And to imagine what the rest of the series will be like! Wow! VA is a great series and I so can't wait for it to (hopefully) be completed in graphic novel form!

If you loved Vampire Academy I highly recommend reading this even though you already know the story! It was great to see faces to characters I only imagined inside my head!

Overall rating 5/5 stars


1 comment:

  1. I really love the art for all the characters - except Dimitri, I don't know it's not exactly how I pictured him. Glad you still completely loved the graphic novel though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!