Dec 2, 2010

Review--Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

TORN BETWEEN TWO DESTINIES...

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and her crush keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: She's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she finds her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart. Burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, she will be forced to make a choice that will change her life forever...

Christine Johnson definitely takes a different spin on werewolves with her novel Claire de Lune. Here is a world where no male werewolves exist and only women are wolves.

There is a sense of order to the pack that Claire soon becomes apart of via her mother, but the numbers are still scarce. I'll admit, this was only a so-so read. I would'nt have read this except I won it in a contest so I thought, what the heck? It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't really exciting enough. I mean there were some exciting parts, there is a werewolf on the loose who is killing people, some important people as well.

To make matters more dicey, there is a man who is set to "cure" werewolves--this is also an open world where the world knows about werewolves and humans do their best to avoid them. But this man's idea of a cure isn't nearly so. In fact some of his "success" stories have been males who have lapsed into comas but have been cured of their so called curse. And the clincher? This man is the father of Matthew, Claire's crush and potential boyfriend.

So there was a bit of interest there. The romance between Claire and Matthew was the sweet first love kind between sixteen year olds. So that was just kind of cute, but sometimes it had me rolling my eyes. But it wasn't horrible.

I even thought I had the mystery part of it solved, but I was totally wrong. I thought one character was the murderer because evidence was making them look very suspicious so I thought it had to be this person. When clues turned you towards someone else, I thought no because it was too easy for it to be them. Then I wondered if the two were in league, but that was wrong too, there is only 1 killer werewolf. So I didn't know how to feel about that. When the mystery seemed too easy and yet my answer was still wrong because I didn't want to go with the other more likely and easier answer. I was trying to guess the more shocking one. So that part was a little disappointing.

The ending was another shocker, sort of at least. There was one part that I thought was wrapped up too smoothly when I thought it would be more complicated, but then that wouldn't mesh with some of the other events that shaped one of the characters.

Overall it was an okay read. Nothing spectacular. I really wanted to like it because again, still liking the werewolves right now but my addiction is dying down as I haven't come across many more good werewolf novels. So I would give Claire de Lune a 3/5 read. Not bad, but not great either. It was just okay. If you're still curious to read it I would suggest trying the library or borrowing it from someone else if they have it.

2 comments:

  1. About how I felt. It was a so-so read. Nothing extraordinary and it wasn't terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww pity it wasnt so great... I have been having problems reading YA, so, I dont plan on reading this one anytime soon LOL

    as for werewolves novels... have you read Terry Spear's Heart of The Wolf Series??? its great! =D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!