Oct 1, 2010

Review--Siren Song by Cat Adams

Bodyguard Celia Graves piles her trade in a world where vampires roam the alleys of Tinseltown, street-corner psychics have real powers, and cops use memory-enhancement spells. Celia always thought she was an ordinary human, albeit one with a clairvoyant for a best friend and a ghost for a little sister.

A recent vampire attack made Celia an Abomination. She finds sunlight painful and must take her food in liquid form, but she still has her soul. She's slowly adjusting to her new "lifestyle" (therapy sessions and all) when she discovers that the attack awakened a hidden part of her heritage: Celia is part Siren, able to enthrall men...and enrage women...without half-trying.

Her best friend's murder is still unsolved; the cops are convinced Celia should be in jail, if not staked; and her old lover, magician Bruno DeLuca, has something important to tell her. To top it all off, Celia's been summoned to the Sirens' island for what might be a battle to the death--assuming she's not killed before she even sets sail.

Celia Graves has more than one enemy. Some of them want her blood. Some of them want her soul. All of them want her dead.

Finished Cat Adams' Siren Song and it was quite a good read. Great followup to Blood Song, but since it had been so long since I read that one, I kind of forgot some of the details. And there wasn't the best recap, I mean they did mention things that have come to past, but it took me awhile to orient myself back into the scheme of things.

It was a pretty quick read too. I read almost all of it yesterday and finished it this morning before moving to my next read. The plot was well paced as Celia is having to deal with the aftermath of everything from book 1, it opens up with quite a bang too, an attempt on her life.

And it doesn't stop there. For some reason being an Abomination is practically being a vampire, even though it sort of is, but she still maintains her soul, but everyone treats her like a soulless creature. So Celia has a hard time doing anything because there is always someone there to judge her, like her dead best friend's parents, particularly the mother.

Celia's own family isn't without problems either, but they don't play a major part in the story. What does play a key role is Celia adapting to her Siren side of herself. Upon learning this at the end of book 1 she is ordered to go the island for a duel with one of them, but first she has to get through rehab. And survive the death threats.

A lot happens, love complications, so there wasn't a whole lot of romance here. There was tension, but that was it. Not so much as a kiss. There were surprising developments in the love department that left you shocked and by the end it gets even more shocking!

Again, I feel like I can't talk about everything without giving something away, so I will cut this short. A few more notes; there was quite a bit of action, some mystery and intrigue and a slew of surprises! And the end kind of has a cliffhanger, nothing major, just an "oh great" kind of thing for Celia. 

Demon Song, the next book is set to release March 1, 2011.

Overall I give the book 4/5 stars! A terrific read. I will definitely be sticking with this series as Celia is a very entertaining character, she is the reluctant vampire and she still maintains a lot of her human emotions and feelings.

Don't forget about my upcoming contest. I only need 10 more followers!! Spread the word now for extra points to add to your official entry in the official contest. For details click here.

My blog might look slightly different, I was trying to find a new template but apparently I hadn't saved my old one so I had to dig around and redownload everything, so it lost my personal touches with color shades and whatnot. Still going to see if I can find a new template I like, but it might take awhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!